NEWS: Story Bundle – A New Pay What You Want Service for Indie Books! (@storybundle)
If you follow me on twitter or have the misfortune of having spent more than five minutes in a conversation with me, you probably know I’m a big fan of the Indie game bundles Humble Bundle and Indie Royale. You probably also know that I have bemoaned the fact that there’s nothing like this for Indie Books. I thought it was a serious social injustice and someone should get on making my dream a reality.
Well someone did.
Because they rule.
That someone is former Lifehacker Jason Chen. (So right there, you know it’s going to be good… the man used to hack life…) The site is Story Bundle and it allows you to buy a small collection of books by Indie authors (otherwise known as a bundle) in a DRM free format for whatever price you think they’re worth.
Blatantly ripped off from the Story Bundle News page:
StoryBundle (www.storybundle.com) wants you to read indie books. As part of our launch, we’re putting up our first offering, The Big Bang Bundle, showcasing five fantastic indie ebooks and two bonus books for one pay-what-you-want price. We’re taking the supremely successful bundle idea, which has been proven to work splendidly with gaming and apps, and bringing it to the world of reading.
“My dream is two-fold,” said Jason Chen, Founder of StoryBundle. “As an avid reader, I wanted to make a place where independent authors can get exposure and readers can get quality ebooks without having to sift through list after list of titles. With StoryBundle, voracious readers will always have great reads easily within their reach.”
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few features StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from five excellent indie authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want: You decide how much five fantastic indie books are worth to you. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to five thrilling titles.
- Support indie authors: StoryBundle is a platform for indie authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Plus, when you’re supporting indie authors you’re supporting the little guy or gal.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to charity. For the first bundle, we’re featuring MightyWriters and Trees for the Future.
- Future-proof yourself with bonus books: If you beat our bonus price, you’re not just getting five books, you’re getting seven. And best of all, the two bonus books are sequels of two books we’re featuring in our regular bundle. This way you can already have the sequel when you finish reading the first book—no need to pay full price later.
The Big Bang Bundle, the first StoryBundle offering, features five tremendous indie books, including:
- Bypass Gemini, by Joseph Lallo
- The Heretic, by Joseph Nassise
- John Gone, by Michael Kayatta
- Journey to Hart’s Halo – V1.0 Einstein’s Enigma, by Lou Hood
- Undersea, by Geoffrey Morrison
Plus, two additional bonus books you get if you beat the bonus price:
- Unstable Prototypes, the sequel to Bypass Gemini, by Joseph Lallo
- Missing Signals, the sequel to John Gone, by Michael Kayatta
“As a huge fan of the indie game and music bundles, being asked to be a part of the first indie book bundle was both flattering and exciting,” Geoffrey Morrison, whose novel Undersea appears in the first bundle. “Jason has put together an impressive group of authors. StoryBundle is a fantastic way to get independent authors the exposure we need, and readers many new books to enjoy.”
In addition to offering readers a great deal on books, we’re giving them the chance to donate a portion of their purchase to a worthy cause. StoryBundle is partnering with MightyWriters and Trees for the Future, as well as Philanthroper, a daily deals site for nonprofits, to make this happen.
StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.
So I tip my hat to you Mr. Chen.
You’re my freaking hero.
Check out Story Bundle here. And while you’re there, you should probably buy a copy.